Timeline of Illness
Here at Chronic Long Covid we recognise different phases to the condition of post covid syndrome.
Phase 1 – Infectious Phase
Patient contracts the Coronavirus, Covid19.
1-2 weeks. Virus descends into lungs and virus attaches itself to lungs and gastric ace receptors.
Symptoms: Scratchy sore throat, ice pick headaches, loss of taste, loss of smell, low grade fever, diarrhoea.
Professor Time Spector of Kings College, London identifies & outlines 14 initial symptoms.
- Dry cough
- Chest pain
- Body aches
- Sore throat
- Lack of appetite
- Loss of taste
- Loss of smell
- Excess sleeping
Phase 2 – Ongoing covid infection
Patient may still be infectious. Severe lung pressure, chest tightness continues, shortness of breath develops. Bad stomach issues continue. Dehydration may occur and patient requires an intravenous saline drip. Xrays may show pneumonia in lungs or patient may be suffering with secondary underlying infection eg, viral pleurisy.
Phase 3 – Phasing to effects of a post viral illness, downgrading of initial symptoms
The patient starts to have less lung pressure and chest tightness, though some may remain. However, a new set of ‘effects’ start to develop. Less pulmonary and more psychological, cognitive, organ, mobility, joint and pain related.
Psychological disturbances are reported (flashing lights, floaters in eyes, vision issues, tinnitus develops, joint pain starts, back pain, glands swell, hair loss starts…..)
Phase 4 – Post Covid Syndrome (may be several post viral illnesses)
Week 12 onwards.
At present most patients are at 7-8 months though we have some at 13 months (contracted in China, October 2019) as of today’s date of November 10th 2020.
- Common relapses (recurrent)
- Organ damage shows on scans eg, mitral valve, myocarditis, lung or other organ damage
- Persistent or recurrent joint pain, mobility issues, persisting fatigue, jaw pain, headaches (migraines)
- Numbness in extremities
- Facial paralysis and/or with speech loss (Bells Palsy)
- Strokes or mini strokes
- Hair loss continues with/without keratin structures (especially those ventilated)
- Food intolerances and histamine reactions to food (diarrhoea)
- Severe back/shoulder blade pain
- Faecal and urinary incontinence (food intolerance)
- Kidney pain, flank pain
- Weakened legs/arms & mobility issues
- Psychological disturbances (mostly reported at weeks 10-15) flashing lights, shadows in corner of eyes
- Phantom, hissing sounds, particularly at night
- Phantom smells-amnosia, particularly tobacco, burning rubber rancid smell
- Stinky rancid body odour/sweat
- Peripheral neuropathy burning pain in extremities
- Irregular heartbeat, flutters, racing, stabbing chest pain
- Thick jello deposits in lungs
- Some patients are reporting the development of secondary illnesses: MND. Breast Cancer, ME/CFS, Thyroid issues, others (but we are unable to verify if all these are post covid related).
Many of the above are in a cyclical nature, others random.